Thursday, January 21, 2010

My Buonasera Roast Turkey....




This is a belated post of my roast turkey which I cooked for my sister's Christmas party last month. I had never attempted to cook this big bird before as it is very time comsuming and I never have a liking for its tough meat as prefer to chicken. So I decided to try my hands on this when I saw a special Italian recipe from Flavours magazine. It turns out lovely especially the stuffings which uses fresh herbs, mushrooms, eggs, breadcrumbs and streaky bacons. I would love to try it out with my roast chicken next time. Have some pics here to share as well as the recipe. I made some lovely gravy with chicken stocks and the juices from the roasting pan for dippings instead of cranberry sauce.

My almost 4 kg turkey from Tesco,thaw for a whole day in refrigerator..


Cleaned, pat dry inside and outside with wings tuck under ....oh my...is it the correct way? never mind, that's the only way I could do it....

Ingredients for the stuffings:

2 tbsp olive oil

1/2 onion - diced
200g streaky bacon, diced

1 tbsp sage- chopped

1 tbsp thyme- chopped

1 tbsp rosemary- chopped

10g shitake mushroom- sliced

20g oyster mushroom- sliced

40g button mushroom-sliced

4 eggs, beaten

150g fresh breadcrumbs, toasted

sea salt and pepper to taste


Oyster mushroom.........

Shitake mushroom.............


Button mushroom..............

Diced streaky bacon........

Sage.............

Rosemary...........

Thyme............




5kg whole turkey

200ml extra virgin oil

cracked black pepper and sea salt

250ml chicken broth


Gravy:


750ml chicken stock

4 tbsp flour



To make stuffing:


Heat olive oil in pan, cook the onions over over medium heat for 5 mins or til soft. Add bacon, and saute until browned. Add sage, rosemary and thyme and cook for another 5 mins. Add all the mushroom and cook for 2 mins. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Add eggs and breadcrumbs. Mix to combine, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Turkey roasting in oven.................



To roast turkey:


Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celcius. Remove the giblets, neck and excess fat from the turkey. Rinse turkey and pat dry. Season the inside with salt and pepper, and fill with stuffing.

Tie the legs with butcher string. Twist wings under back.

Rub turkey all over with extra virgin oil, and place breast side down, on a rack placed in a shallow roasting tray. Pour chicken broth all over turkey.

Roast for 2 1/2 hrs or until brown, basting the turkey every 30 mins. (I turn it over breast up to cook for a further 30 mins to brown it evenly)

Remove from oven. Cover with aluminium foil for 1 hr, set in a warm place.


To make gravy:


Remove 3 tablespoon of pan juices ( I used more) from the roasting tray into a small saucepan placed over medium heat. Add flour and stir to comnine to a smooth paste. Add chicken stock and cook stirring to prevent any lumps from forming, until the sauce thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

4 comments:

Lee said...

Hi Jasmine, wow! That looks sinfully delicious!
Can see you have a 3rd Dan Black Belt in cooking, ha ha.
But, regret to admit, I will take a pass on turkey...don't ask why, Ha ha.
Turkey, duck, lamb, goat not in my menu...but my wife loves them.
Your previous posting of that lobster, ahhhh, that is my kind, ha ha.

You stay easy Jasmine, keep well, and best regards, Lee.

Johnny Ong said...

it has been quite some time back since i last had a turkey

Lee said...

I forgot, love your blog header words, "Living life with no regrets".....wayyyyy to go, Jasmine.
Live your life with no excuses, love with no regrets, Lee.

eastcoastlife said...

I will try to roast a turkey one day but in the meantime I'll just look at yours and drool. haha.....