Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cornish Chicken Pie......

Today I made some Cornish chicken pie which is one of the favorite food in my home eaten with no complains but  with smiles on their faces. Its high time I share some recipes here as my health is getting better and my mood is just right for writing.


Really don't know why it is named Cornish pie as in Secret Recipe. Its might have originated from Cornwall with its  meaty and potatoes fillings wrap in huge pastry into half moon just like our curry puffs. 

Ingredients: Fillings- makes 4 -5 pies

2 chicken thighs -steamed and shredded
3 medium size potatoes-cubed
1 carrot- cubed
1 big onion- chopped
1 tin button mushroom- chopped
1/2 cup cream of mushroom soup
1 tbsp oil
2 hardboiled eggs- quartered

Seasoning:
salt and pepper to taste
a pinch of mixed dried herbs


Pastry:

300g flour
125g cold butter
ice cold water to mix


Method:

Heat a tablespoon oil in  pan or wok. Put in chopped onions to saute til soft and fragrant. Add in  mushroom, potatoes, carrots  and fried for a minute or two. Then add in cream of mushroom soup and some stock from the steamed chicken. Season with a bayleaf, mixed herbs and some pepper. Leave to boil for 5 mins and then add in the shredded chicken. Cook til moist but not too dry and watery. Leave aside to cool.

To make the pastry, sieve flour and rub in cubed cold butter with fingers til it resembles fine bread crumbs. Then add in ice cold water to form a firm dough. Wrap up dough with clean plastic sheets and leave in fridge to chill for about 30 mins before using. 


Roll out pastry into 3mm thickness then cut out with knife into oval shape. Put enough fillings in middle and fold up and  press the edges together. Crimp the edges neatly to close up fillings. Lightly brush it with a beaten egg and bake it in a preheatd oven of 200 degrees Celcius for 20-25 minutes til golden brown.

Golden  brown pie in oven........



5 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Welcome back! You have been missing for awhile. Love your Cornish chicken pie. :)

Sweet Jasmine said...

Yea,LCOM, I m back after MIA for so long..hv not been well since the Jan but I m recovering. Hope will be able to share more food here.

John said...

Looks tasty! Was looking at this at work, and someone asked for the link so they can make it this weekend!

Also, I run a fruit and vegetable site with lots of info about juicing, the benefits and so on. I was wondering if you would link to my site in your blogroll?

The URL is http://www.healthy-juicing.com/

Sweet Jasmine said...

Hi John, thks for dropping by. I will add you to my blogroll as I am into juicing lately to help me with my poor health n I find lots of improvement. Do dropby again.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

looks utterly delishh..
first time here..love your space..
awesome recipe collection..
Am your happy follower now..:)
do stop by mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite