Monday, August 27, 2007

Spaghetti in Creamy White Sauce..Bacon and Ham.

Crispy bacon cut into bite size...........................
Slices of cut ham....................................


The thick cream I used.......................


The thick and creamy white sauce.....................

Yummy spaghetti in white sauce...........................

The last time I wrote about Spaghetti Bolognaise which uses tomatoes for its base as sauce. For those who do not like the sourish taste of tomatoes you can cook the white sauce instead. My son no. 1 prefers this white sauce which uses butter , milk and some flour for thickening.

Yesterday, I decided to cook up some white sauce when I was wondering what to do with my double-cream lying in the fridge that is nearing the expiry date. So this is how I cook my white sauce.........

Ingredients: for 2 - 3 serving.

300ml low-fat milk-( you can use fresh or reconstituted milk.)
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp plain flour ( I used self-raising flour because I run out of plain flour)
4-5 tbsp thick cream-(optional- but I find that the sauce taste better and thick with this)
2 tsp of chicken granules- can add more to taste.
1-2 slices of cheddar cheese

Method:

Melt the butter over low heat in a sauce pan and sift in the flour slowly into the melted butter while stirring constantly to form a paste. Add in the chicken granules. Pour in half the milk slowly and stirring all the while until cook and thicken. Add the rest of the milk and cook til it boils stirring again in a slow boil for a minute and then add in the double cream and cheddar cheese to cook til it melts. If the sauce is lumpy with unmelted flour you can just sieve it . Cook over low heat for a minute or two to get a smooth and thick sauce. Use a wooden ladle or a balloon whisk to stir the sauce. When cooked leave the sauce aside while you cook the spaghetti.
This sauce can also be used for making lasagne which I will blog about in my later post.

As for my spaghetti, I cook it in a big pot of boiling water adding a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of cooking oil in it . When cooked I sieved it and then mixed it with some olive oil and a knob of butter so it would not stick together or too dry. I sprinkled some black pepper and some mix herbs to the spaghetti and mix thoroughly and then I top it with some bacon bits(bacon fried til crispy) and some slices of cut ham. When ready to serve pour in the hot white sauce. I also sprinkled some grated parmesan cheese on top. My son gobbled up the pasta in no time and asked for more....

2 comments:

Leena said...

this is my favourite spagetti sauce. very fattenin though.

Sweet Jasmine said...

Ya,very rich...but can omit the cream and use low fat milk instead for those who want to watch their wasteline...lol.