Thursday, May 20, 2010

Guinness Stout Spare Ribs....


Yesterday I tried my hands on this dish which uses the famous Irish beer for cooking my spareribs. It turns out well and tasted just as good as those eaten outside and if not the best. Maybe next time I will give it some variations like adding jams or maltose instead of honey to add to the flavor of the bitter sweet stout. Here is how I cook it......


1. Wash 600gm of spare ribs and drained. Dap dry with kitchen towel.



2. Marinate the ribs with 1 tsp ginger juice, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp light soya sauce, 3 tbsp Guinness Stout, 1 tbsp plain flour and 1 tbsp cornflour. Keep aside in fridge to season for 2 to 3 hours covered.



3. Deep fry the marinated ribs in hot oil for about 2 minutes. Remove and drain.


4. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a clean wok. Pour in sauce mixture A which consist of 1 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp freshly squeeze lemon juice, and 9 tbsp Guinness Stout. Bring it to boil.



5. Return ribs to wok and mix well. Pour in 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 40 minutes til the ribs are tender and make sure the gravy is not too dry. Lastly thicken the sauce with cornflour mixture by mixing 2 tsp of cornflour with 1 tbsp water. Dish up and it is ready to be eaten with hot rice.



5 comments:

BeautifuL Life said...

ohh..thats simple! Thanks for sharing..

Little Corner of Mine said...

I enjoyed this dish while I was in M'sia. Too bad, I have not seen a Guinness Stout here.

Lee said...

Hi Jasmine, I can drink anything except Chinese medicine and Guiness stout. Never did like the smell of stout.
However, you this dish looks fantastic, and I never knew can use it to make delicious food.
Jasmine, outstanding! You are good.
Have fun, keep well and keep a song in your heart, Lee.

Bits said...

Looks so delicious! I heard of this dish but still haven't tasted yet, I shall cook it at home.

Kess And Her Mama said...

I love this dish. Tried it once. I think your suggestion of adding jam or maltose is brilliant. Let me know how that turned out!

P.S. It really is much nicer to travel on our own than follow a tour. Requires a bit more planning, but so worth it. I'm more than happy to share my itinerary and tips for countries I've visited if you decide to visit any of these countries.