Thursday, December 20, 2007

Home-made Sambal Belacan...

Home-made sambal belacan................

I have been buying my sambal belacan from the market stalls when i did my marketing.....but lately the price of a plastic cup of sambal belacan had shoot up from rm 5.00 to rm 6.00.....and not only that....the amount of sambal is only 3/4 full instead of the usual full cup. So i decided to make my own....i bought rm4.00 of big fresh chillis and rm2.00 packet of small chillis......some lime....i had a block of belacan sitting in the fridge for sometime already....and i got nearly 2 big cups of sambal belacan.......For those who want to make your own..here are the ingredients:

About 30 nos big fresh chillis.....washed and sliced....


About 10 nos. of small chillis and some kaffir lime juice.......

About 50 gms toasted belacan, toast in pan til crispy.....

Put chillis and belacan in blender and blend til smooth but not too fine.....add a pinch of salt .....if the belacan is too salty, omit this.........squeeze some lime juice to sambal . The sambal can be kept in a clean container in fridge to be served when needed. ( i fried the sambal without oil in pan for a minute or two to get rid of the water from the wet chillis.)

4 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Your sambal looks good! You know you can freeze sambal too if you can't finish it fast enough. I normally freeze one container and put the other one in the fridge to enjoy.

Ohbin said...

Hi Jasmine,
I saw ur comment on Shern's mom article about renewal of maids' passport. May I know which agent do you usually go to and how much is the charges? I need to renew my maid's passport soon, my agent is a small agency n they tumpang someone for this service. they charge me RM300 w/o transport n w/o jagaing the maid too. thank you.

Big Boys Oven said...

Oh so lovely, can I have some, please..........

Sweet Jasmine said...

little corner of mine - nothings beats homemade ones...

ohbin - my agent for 10 yrs now in gunung rapat ipoh...is a registered one...they charged around rm 400 for passport renewal + transport + maid's food and lodging for a night....but this we will deduct from maid's payroll when she goes back home....