Sunday, December 23, 2007

A Year Older...with Tang Yuen.....

colourful tang yuen.......before it goes into the pot............


22nd December is always a day where Chinese celebrate their Dong Zhi... or Solstice Winter Festival by making and eating Tang Yuen....or glutinous rice balls.......i never fail to make this colourful balls for my family every year....it is the chinese tradition of reminding you that you will be a year older after eating this lovely colourful rice balls......i can still remember....when i was a child ....i told my mum i do not want to grow a year older by refusing to eat tang yuen.........here are my tang yuens made yesterday........


colourful tang yuen in syrup.....cooked with rock sugar and pandan leaves and a knob of ginger............



a spoonful of tang yuen......................


this is the dry version with ground peanuts and sugar on the outside and gula melaka or palm sugar as fillings......best served immediately when cooked or else the rice balls will harden when it gets cold...........

Tang Yeun is actually quite easy to make......just buy a packet of glutinous rice powder from supermarket......and knead into a wet soft dough with water...use both palms to roll into small balls......then drop into a big pot of boiling water to cook til it rise to the surface......drop into ice cold water.... drained and eat it with prepared syrup......

For the dry version ....just roll it over grounded toasted peanuts mixed with fine sugar....when the balls are still hot from pot.....you can stuff in any fillings you like before boiling the balls in water....i use my leftover chocolate chips...from my cakes......yummy....!

8 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Your tang yuen is so colorful and pretty! I like the dry version more....hehehehe.....

Happy Holidays to you & family ya!

Sweet Jasmine said...

little corner of mine - my children love the syrup ones and i prefer te dry version...

erinalaw said...

I made that every year too. Btw, your son came over to my shop last week. Very handsome chef leh. Hahaha.............

Sweet Jasmine said...

erinalaw - ya..he told me about it..he bought some ingredients to make some very nice molten chocolat cake..he was suprised that cooking island boss also new about his mum's blog...came back straight away to look at my blog for the first time too...and yrs too...wonder what 'battle of the chefs'....had in their blog...lol

Big Boys Oven said...

I just eaten my tang yuen and I realised that I am an old man already.....*sob* *sob* *sob*

Sweet Jasmine said...

big boys oven - a year older means a year wiser ....!!

Horny Ang Moh said...

Over here we have the dry type but no filling inside! Have a nice day & marry x-mas!

Sweet Jasmine said...

horny ang moh - of course yr horny taste is different from ours...mah..!..thks for yr first comment here...and wish u had a nice time too.....