Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sweet & Sour Belly Pork.........


While blog hopping to my friend's blog in Little Corner Of Mine yesterday.....I came to know about this virtual party celebration hosted by Mochachocolata-Rita to celebrate her 88th post in her blog. Each of her invited guest and for those interested (she says everybody can participate...that includes me) are require to cook out something creatively that resembles a the Chinese Take Out dish. Another attraction of her party for her guest is a lucky draw in which a lovely prize is up for grabs.....

This morning waking up quite late and feeling not so well but not to miss out on this party ......I dig into my fridge to see what ingredients I had in hand to cook up a chinese dish. I had a piece of healthy belly pork ( without the 3 layer fat) in my freezer and here is what I cook up............


Cubed and skinned belly pork without the fats...............


The cubed pineapples, onions, tomatoes, chillis and potatoes......



Deep fry belly pork......................


The sauce mixture.....................


Ingredients:

300 gms belly pork - Skinned
1 tsp soya sauce
1 tbsp chinese rice wine (shao hsing)
1/4 tsp salt
beaten egg
cornflour for coating
Oil for deep frying
1 tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic -chopped
1 tsp ginger- chopped
1 big onion - cubed
1 red chilli - diced
2 to 3 slices pineapple- cubed
1 tomato - quartered
1 to 2 nos. potatoes - cubed and deep fry til cooked.

Ingredients for Sauce:( mix all together)

4 tbsp water
1 tbsp cider vinegar
4 tbsp sugar
1 tsp light soya sauce
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
3 tbsp chilli sauce
1 tbsp plum sauce
1 tsp worchestershire sauce
1 tbsp cornflour

Method:

First I cut the belly pork into 2 1/2 cm cubes and season it with soya sauce, salt, chinese rice wine and leave it in fridge for about 30 mins. Next, I deep fry the pork in a fryer after mixing it with a little beated egg and coat it with cornflour. I deep fry it til golden brown...about 7 mins and drain out the oil. Next I stir fry the garlic, onion and ginger in a tablespoon of oil in pan til fragrant. Add in chilli, pineapple, tomatoes, and toss well.Then I pour in the sauce mixture and stir well to mix. Lastly I add in the deep fried belly pork and deep fry potatoes and toss it for a minute til the sauces are well combined with the pork.

Rita, hope you like my Chinese Take Out for your grand celebration...! For those interested in participating check this out here before the 12th May2008.


Note: For my muslim readers....please replace the pork with chicken meat and fish fillet.


8 comments:

Health Freak Mommy said...

Is that 'koo loa yoke'? Looks complicated to cook eh? But it's tasty :)

Sweet Jasmine said...

heath freak mommy - yeah..this is something like 'ku lou yoke'....it is not that difficult to cook actually....just prepare the sauce and deep-fry the meat,chicken or fish fillet and cook it with just onions and other vege or fruit of your fancy....
I had one in my earlier post with just the pineapple and onions...and I vary my sauces for a variety of taste to the sourness fo this dish.....

Little Corner of Mine said...

Mmmm..yummy yummy! I love this kind of sweet and sour pork.

SIG said...

Wow, lovely. Hubby's favourite dish! *slurp*

tigerfish said...

Wah man, Guloo Yok! My fav!

Sweet Jasmine said...

little corner of mine - my all time favourite too.....

Sweet Jasmine said...

singairish girl - not my hubby's cup of tea...

Sweet Jasmine said...

tigerfish - thks for hopping over....yummy dish is always a great attraction ....